-->

July 30, 2012

the first step to being beautiful



I wanted to take self portraits for my blog. That was the first thing on my mind when I woke up one morning.  As usual, I washed up, ate breakfast, got my camera and put on something nice. I took about fifty random photos without looking at them, wanting to be surprised. I ended my 'self photo shoot' early enough for lunch, and decided that afterwards I'd start deleting those awkward looking photos of myself.

Oh. my. dear. Ew, terrible, disgusting, gross. Those were the only words that came out of my mouth when I looked over my photos. My hands were rapidly going on with the trash button of my camera. Before I knew it, every single photo I took was deleted by myself. Crushed, I asked myself why I wasn't able to find a single, nice photo of myself. And then I started to become jealous. "Wouldn't it be so much nicer to be those girls in the movies that look perfect with and without makeup, to look so pretty and so attractive no matter what they do to themselves? To own every single photo taken - to just have a whole album or scrapbook of their self portraits..."

The same day, I was frisking Tumblr, satisfying my addiction of The Amazing Spiderman, and I found this amazing, inspiring and lovely quote:

“I can’t think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself.”
-Emma Stone

This was so, so, so encouraging. {AND I LOVE EMMA STONE}  But really - it's true. Why should I be ashamed of how I look? Why want to be or look like someone else? Everyone is beautiful - no man can craft anything like us. The first step to being beautiful is believing that you are :)

Have a great week! x

8 comments:

Anh | Feminine 23 said...

I am fully aware that I have moments of being pretty and moments of being ugly. Of course how can I be good looking when I just wake up and my hair is a mess, my eyes can't even open and bla bla. I just try to grab moments of being pretty and feel good with that :)

Have a great week, too!

Elisha said...

Everyone(especially girls) have those moments.. But don't you ever forget it : YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. 100%.

xo.

Jianine ☺ said...

Love this post Stella, such a nice reminder to all the girls out there, and love that sideshow of your pictures on your sidebar over there! Been staring at it until it looped, actually haha :)

Elisha said...

Just thought you should know my latest favorite song, so it can be yours toooooo. Gah, love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_x8ndHMRUE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Anonymous said...

this is so encouraging. i wrote something similar on my own blog and it's amazing how many people feel this way. it's also really nice to know one isn't alone.

chin chyu ern said...

ahhh, i feel you! Sometimes when i take self portraits, i get so frustrated i want to just cry :( i wish i could just split myself into two and both be behind the camera and in front of it.

Jo said...

I know what you mean. When I do self portraits.... they do not look like what I imagined myself looking like... So your not alone! I love this quote.

Megan said...

whenever I need inspiration, i come and pour through your old blog posts. they make me so happy. :) and i NEEDED this today. i woke up this morning with the intent of taking lots of lovely self-portraits, but ended up with none, and was so discouraged. you are definitely not alone in this! thanks, Stella. :)

Post a Comment